In this month’s Behind the Seams, we talk to Brazilian designer Carlos Miele about dressing Florence Welch, why everyone is obsessed with Brazil, and more.
1) Tell me about your Spring Runway collection.
For this collection, I was inspired by a perfect imaginary world, in which there is perpetual sun – it is full of vivid colors in bright chemical tones. The Immersive Landscape was born from the idea of immersive artificial environments, which can be created by virtual reality.
2) What is something you dream of achieving but haven’t yet?
I want to continue working to establish and expand my brands in the international market. I already sell in over 30 countries and I want to open more stores in the main fashion centers of the world, as I have done in Paris and New York.
3) What do you think of all the attention Brazil has been receiving lately? It seems world is obsessed with all things Brazil…
Everyone loves Brazil and the country’s lifestyle. We have so many beautiful landscapes; our people are very friendly and naturally sexy. A lot of people want to come and feel this “coolness” or even have a boyfriend or girlfriend from Brazil!
4) What is your favorite fashion trend right now?
I really like this equestrian trend, with countryside influences, which is something I even used on my last Fall/Winter show. It reminds me a lot of Brazil, specially the women from the South that are naturally elegant and embodies values that are important not because they are old, but because they are eternal.
5) What was your proudest moment as a designer?
My first show in New York.
6) If you could give advice to aspiring designers, what would it be?
To have a drive for your ideas, find and stay true to your identity.
7) If you could pick one celebrity to dress who would it be?
I would dress Florence Welch again because her style is similar to mine. She is very authentic and a fashion icon. I was very proud when she chose to use one of my creations in her first tour in Brazil.