To celebrate Mother’s Day, we polled the moms and moms-to-be in our office to find out advice on being pregnant and how to make it all work!
Besides your own mom, who is your “celeb mom” idol?
- Beyoncé, Hillary Clinton, Jessica Alba, Michelle Williams.
What book to read? What book NOT to read?
To read: The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy, Lean In, Katherine The Great, Good To Great, Trading Up, Willful Blindness.
Not to read: What to Expect if You are Expecting (ask your friends who have kids – they will tell you the true story).
Craziest thing you’ve craved or had an aversion to?
Craved: Parmesan goldfish, bagels with cream cheese and tomatoes, coco puffs.
Aversion: Smelly fish, coffee – one of my favorite things in life!
Do you have any advice on how to “lean in” and make it all work?
- Set boundaries and stick to them. Don’t let work guilt get you – your child will be taking care of you in old age – not your job.
- Live close to work if you can – every extra second counts! Get childcare you trust so when you’re at work you can be 100%!
What’s the worst part of being pregnant?
- Your feet are going up in size and never going back!
- 2 solid months of feeling hungover.
- Unflattering maternity bras (can a girl get some lace?)
What is your favorite thing to wear to flatter your bump?
- Maxi dress with either a blazer, jacket or jean shirt tied to create the illusion (I repeat, an illusion) of a waist.
- Anything jersey material, caftans are good too! Long soft cotton dresses for summertime!
What have you rented and loved while being pregnant?
- The M Missoni Portofino Poncho Dress for vacation. I enjoyed the one shoulder because it lent a little skin but I still felt appropriate and covered up.
- This Alice Temperley Dress was a go-to, I rented it a few times for various events.
- This Erin Fetherston Dress was gorgeous.
- Catherine Malandrino Madrid Madness Gown – in general anything jersey is a safe bet!
What is a must for your purse at all times during your pregnancy? What can you not leave home without?
- Almonds, aden + anais mum + bub smoothing ointment and rose water.
- Ginger candies, don’t leave home without lots of kisses, hugs and goodbyes from your little one!